As part of OneLife Suffolk’s healthy eating campaign we have been collating recipes from staff that provide at least one of your five a day! If you have any ‘go to’ healthy recipes we’d love to hear about them, you can read some of our recipes below.
Potato Yogurt Salad by Shilpa Kulkarni
- ½ tablespoon Oil
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- ¼ teaspoon granulated Asaphoetida
- 1 Dried Red chilli, broken into 2 parts
- ½ Cup of Low fat Yogurt
- 4 Potatoes boiled and peeled
- ¼ teaspoon Sugar
- Salt as per taste
- In a heated pan add oil, add Mustard seeds. Wait for it to splutter. Once it stops making popping noise, add Cumin seeds to it. Wait for it to change color to light brown. Add granulated Asaphoetida to it. Then add 2 pieces of Red chilli in it. Take it off the flame and keep it aside.
- Cut the boiled potatoes into small pieces, add Low fat Yogurt, Sugar and Salt.
- Add previously prepared Oil mixture to it.
- Mix all together and enjoy the tangy taste of Healthy Potato Yogurt Salad.
Chick Pea Salad by Prachi Katdare
- Boiled chick peas 1 cup
- Boiled and diced potatoes 1 medium sized
- Chopped red onions 1 table spoon
- Chopped carrots 1 table spoon
- Chopped cucumber 1 table spoon
- Chopped tomatoes 1 table spoon
- Chopped green + red + yellow pepper 1 tea spoon each
- Finely chopped Green or Red chili 1 (or more according to taste)
- Salt as per taste
- Rock salt 1 tea spoon
- Sugar 1 tea spoon (optional)
- Lemon / Lime juice 1 table spoon
- Roasted and crushed cumin seeds 1 tea spoon
- Finely cut fresh coriander 1 table spoon
- Mix all the ingredients (except coriander) together in a large bowl. You can change all the quantities as per your choice, also you can add or avoid vegetables as per your preference.
- Garnish with coriander and serve.
Fenugreek (methi) paratha by Anjali Sule
- 2 cups wheat flour / Atta
- 1 cup methi leaves / fenugreek leaves, finely chopped
- ¼ cup fresh / sour curd/Yogurt
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- ¼ tsp cumin powder
- salt to taste
- ½ tsp carom seeds
- 2 tsp oil
- water as required, to knead dough
- 5 tsp oil / ghee, for roasting
- Firstly, in large mixing bowl take wheat flour and chopped fenugreek (methi) leaves.
- Also add ¼ cup of curd. Curd helps to remove the bitterness of fenugreek (methi) leaves.
- Then add all mentioned spices and salt to taste.
- Furthermore, add 2 tsp of oil and combine well.
- Additionally, add some water and knead the dough.
- Cover with moist cloth and rest for 30 minutes.
- Now pinch a medium sized ball dough, roll and flatten it.
- Also dust with some wheat flour.
- Roll to 5 inches using rolling pin, grease with ghee or oil and bundle it up and flatten to ball.
- Further roll it in a thick circle like paratha.
- Now on a hot pan place the rolled paratha and cook for a minute.
- When the base is partly cooked, flip the paratha.
- Also brush oil / ghee and press slightly till both the sides are golden brown.
- Finally, serve fenugreek (methi) paratha with raita and pickle.